Friday, May 1, 2009

Answers...

Well, I got the rest of my blood work back today and the final results (from weeks of blood work and waiting) are:
Sjogren's Antibodies= Extremely Elevated
SED Rate (detects Inflammation)= Elevated
Potassium= Slightly low
Vitamin D= Low

On top of it, I had an Eye Dr appt yesterday. He did a routine exam (when Sjogren's is involved, I have to have a few extra "eye moisture level" tests done). When my Eye Doc went to do these tests, the results revealed that I have ZERO moisture/tear production. That explains a lot! It's part of the "flare-up". It was newer territory for me, because I have NEVER had an eye test result in NO tears until yesterday. Always on the "low" side, but never on the "zero" side. Even more funny...I told the eye doc that I didn't notice anything "new" with my eyes. So when he revealed the results that I had zero tear/moisture, I was surprised. We both agreed that I must just be used to it.

I'm starting to do better. So, lots of things going on to make me feel sick. Just taking my regular meds (I'm done with the steroids) and 2 new meds to help with nerve pain and fatigue...which helps Sjogren's and SED Rate levels. The potassium is just slightly low, so I'm going to treat with food (being a Nutritionist and all, I know what needs to be done to fix any Vitamin/Mineral Deficiencies)!! But the Vitamin D Deficiency is too low for me to treat with food, so I'm taking a Prescription Strength Vitamin D Supplement for 3 weeks. Many of you know how much I HATE supplements (other than a multi-vitamin) unless it is a 100% true medical deficiency. But with my situation, it's only a few weeks that I have to take the supplement, and it came from my Rheumatologist. Its not like the advice came from somebody trying to make a sale, and I trust my Rheumatologist completely.

Easy enough, right?! I think so. Just treating with the proper medication and praying that the Vitamin D Supplement will help and all of my other blood work will be "normal". I'll always test positive for the Sjogren's anti-bodies, but the SED Rate and any Vitamin/Mineral Deficiencies should go back to normal after the proper treatment.

It's just another wait-and-see right now, but I am confident that these things all combined together will provide the results I have been waiting to see for a long time (well, since February to be exact).

Thanks to everyone for your prayers! They mean so much to me! Take care and I'm sure I'll talk to you all soon!

Love,
Amanda

1 comment:

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

love your blog!! I'll send my prayers your way :)
-marn